Brief History of us......
Holy Family Balika Madhya Maha Vidyalaya , Marawila of Nattandiya Education Division , Chilaw Education zone in the North Western Province was established as an English medium school by the nuns of the Holy Family congregation in 1943.
At the inception, there was classes from Grade 6 to Grade 10 with about 75 students & a tutorial staff of 10. In 1943, the school was named as Marawila Government English Girls school .After the schhol was taken over by the government. in 1962, medium of education changed into Sinhala.In the same year the school was promoted to the rank of Maha Vidyalaya and began the teaching of science subjects after a science laboratory was constructed by the parents in 1970.
The school was amalgamated with Marawila Balika Junior school and commenced the advanced Level Commerce Stream in January 1972. It was in 1978 that the Science Stream of the school started .After the girls pf St: Xavier's college were aborted into the school in February 1978, it began functioning as a seperate school from the Balika , Junior school.
In 1982, the school who promotedya and became the head school of the cluster schools. In 1986, a student's host to the rank of madya maha vidyala was constructed by the government and a Mahapola Library was constructed in 1987.
In 1997,a separate Science Laboratory was built for the advanced Level Science classes. It was on 29 March 1999 that the school commenced to be named as Holy Family Balika M.M.V.The school now comprises with a numbers of two-storey & three-storey buildings and a completely equipped computer Laboratory.
The current strength of the school in about 1285 students from Grade 6 to Advanced Level classes.The present tutorial staff is 40 and the non academic staff comprises 4 members.The past pupils of the school
leading professionals like doctors , engineers and lawyers today. The women with personality and high caliber for the future of the century.